Tuesday, August 08, 2006




Mystery Shawl through Clue 4.

Since I'd last posted, I finished Clue 3 and Clue 4 as well. I actually started Clue 5 last night.

Here's a little picture of my shawl so far. I'd just completed row 203, and gone a half row on the "even" side, so that the knitting was spread evenly on both needles. I didn't semi-block it, I just tried to smooth it out on top of the family room sofa. The yarn is Patons “Lacette” 39% Nylon, 36% Acrylic and 25% Mohair -- the color is “Hint of Rose” (althought I prefer the French name underneath: “Soupçon de Rose"). There will be a total of 6 clues, and then I'll have to pick up the stitches where I began -- removing the the "Provisional Cast-On" in white yarn (which is on the left), and knit the other side just like the first. The earlier link I gave of someone else's knitting shows how much better it looks when the middle (both Clue 1's) are complete.

And, here is a little snippet of what the pattern looks like. I line-off every 5th stitch in red -- it helps me to count on the fly. I highlight each row that I finish, so that it's easy to see the next pattern row that I'm doing. The odd rows are the pattern rows -- the even rows are all k2, p95, k2. This is the start of Clue 5 -- so the row number start at 201.

I think that the counting-by-5 is easy for me because I use it in the picture logic puzzles that I love to do -- at least the version called "Paint by Numbers" in Games magazine, or called Pick-a-Pix on the Conceptis site (http://www.conceptistech.com).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your stole looks so lovely. I am so glad you were able to get a picture of it. I hope I will be able to see it in person when Nancy and I come in September.

Anita C. said...

Of course you'll be able to see it when y'all come for our "Sisters 3" vacation #2 -- which I hope you two will find adventurous while still a relaxing trip.

Anonymous said...

I thought you planned on giving this stole to Barbara. So I was concerned that it may be with her and not at your place when Nancy and I come in September. I'm glad that I will get a chance to see the result of all your hard work.

Anita C. said...

I was showing it to Barbara when I'd discovered that big mistake. She didn't seem that enthusiastic about it. She said the color seemed more peach than pink to her. I think she was wrong. But she's really into liking strong pink colors right now.

If she changes her mind, I'll consider not keeping it for myself. However, when I decided on pink -- I thought that if she loved it, I'd give it to her, else I'd wear it with that long dress that I wore to Fran's wedding. You remember -- you, Nancy and I all wore pink, even though the styles were different, and the shades of pink were slightly different.

I may well not yet be done by the time you come any way.