Monday, August 14, 2006

Mystery Shawl - Clue #6

Well, I finished the first 33 regular rows of the clue. You then had to cast on 24 more stitches, and she recommended doing knitted-cast-on, so I had to look that up. I am now into the edging. It's sort of like you're knitting at a 90 degree angle from the rest of the work, and marry up the even rows with the new work by knitting two together on the wrong-side rows.

You repeat it 7 times -- it'll form 7 "points". Most odd rows (pattern rows) you're either progressively increasing, or progressively decreasing, near the left-hand side. (The original knitting marries into the right side). The first iteration was slow until I neared the end of the pattern. Before going to bed, I was able to complete just a little more than half of a second iteration of the pattern.

Five-and-a-half iterations to go, and I'll be done side one. Then I have to pray that I don't have trouble picking up the stitches from the provisional cast on -- and that I pick them up on the correct side of the work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like things are getting even more complicated! Do you think you should finish the other half before completing the edging? Will there be a problem with working the edging at the middle part?

Anita C. said...

It's harder to describe than to do. Once you get going, it's pretty easy. She recommends using stitch markers -- but I prefer counting, and every 14 rows, I make sure that I have the correct number of "original" stitches left to "work off".

I'm 3/7 done the edging as of Tuesday night -- 4/7 to go!