Thursday, August 17, 2006

My Mystery Stole/Shawl is half done. My only fear is that I might have knitted looser in the second half of this -- and I sure hope that it won't affect the final blocked stole. The edging in particular seems to be looser than the rest of the piece. I'll have to hope that a thorough wetting and proper blocking will make all well.


The official name is "Scheherazade". Here's the information from the pattern's author (Melanie):

"Scheherazade was the name of the Queen who was the storyteller of 1001 Arabian Nights. The Sultan was in the habit of killing his brides after their wedding night and marrying again the next day. When he married Scheherazade, he'd already killed 3000 women. She kept herself alive by telling part of a story, then finishing the story the next night, when she would begin another story. After 1001 nights (and 3 sons) he realized he had fallen in love with her. Aladdin and Ali Baba are two of the more popular characters from her most well known tales.

I chose the name because I felt that Scheherazade was an interesting character. She was brave enough to volunteer to marry the Sultan in the first place, but had the presence of mind to tell a story well enough to capture his imagination, thereby keeping herself alive in the process. Not many of us could spin a tale that could intrigue and captivate the way hers did, knowing that failure would result in our execution. A woman of both great creativity and a very strong backbone, Scheherazade is herself a very interesting character.

In designing the stole, I borrowed traditional motifs from Arabian ornament - several of you have commented on similarities to Oriental carpets. The swirling lines, branching and curling, represent the storyteller, following the thread of a story as it grows and develops. Other motifs... represent the love that grows between Scheherazade and the Sultan.

For more information about Scheherazade, see the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheherazade "

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Beautiful! You can see the heart motifs and I really think that the lace edging is wonderful. I think the size issue will work its way out when you block it. Do you use blocking wires?

Anita C. said...

Thanks!

I don't have blocking wires. I was thinking of either using some string, or maybe fishing line. I'm going to try to make the edging points be very pointy -- maybe the hearts will stand out even better, then.

Anita C. said...

There are intertwined hearts in the main body as it goes to the right -- but it seems to me that there is also a row of hearts in the edging....

Anonymous said...

I think your stole is gorgeous! You must be so very excited to have completed this much.
When you talked about the edging, I did not realize that it was at the bottom (top) edge of the stole. I thought it was going along the side (long) edges.

When I finally left a comment on Cat's blog, I used your nickname to identify myself as your sister. I realized later that you use Anita on that site and that folks would be confused. I am glad you explained it and its pronunciation.

Anonymous said...

I should have said that I agree with Cat. I think when you block the stole any size problems will be resolved.

I am curious to see how you block this. Do you remember Mom having stretcher racks that she used when she washed sheer curtains? This involved a rectangle made with strips of wood that had pins or nails evenly spaced along the wood. It had some way to make the rectangle stand -- kind of like an easel. Mom would push the curtain fabric edges onto the nails (the pointy part stuck out from the wood). This allowed the curtains to dry and avoided the need to iron them.

It would be nice if there were an adjustable one of the these to use for blocking the stole.

Anita C. said...

Thanks, Carol! No, I don't remember Mom's stretcher racks for sheer curtains. Maybe I never paid attention? Or maybe they just didn't register enough activity on the brain to generate enough serotonin for the memory to be laid in.

You had sent me a URL where someone used strings and dressmakers pins to block a large item on a bed. That's probably what I'll do. I've read about blocking wires (which Cat[hy] mentioned) -- and that they're expensive. If ever I run across them at a reasonable priced, maybe I'll buy some someday.

In a follow-up on "Cat with Cats", her brother Dave suggested including something for scale. Here are the approximate dimensions -- my 1/2-sized piece is approximately 6 feet long, about 18 inches wide, unblocked. I'm not sure what size it'll be when I block it and try to really flatten it out.

Anita C. said...

Oops. I mean 3 feet long. I'm projecting the final piece to be 6 feet long.

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing you corrected yourself on the length of the shawl. If it were going to end up being 12 feet long, it maybe could have been made into a sari.