Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rework of Estonian Garden Wrap and before/after photos

(To see "After", go to the end of this post.)

Before: Picture at about 170 rows before deciding I would run out of yarn. This is what it looked like about 1/2 way through the Little Flowers Pattern on the first side. Plus there are two more patterns to work on each side -- the Lilies of the Valley pattern and the Scalloped Trellis edging pattern.



Here's how much yarn was left on the ball. It was actually pretty empty, but hard to photograph it because it was falling in on itself. Since one whole side should only have taken 1 ball or maybe a little more, I could only use 1.5 balls for this side. There was no way 3 balls of yarn would be enough for this side plus a complete repeat of the other side.



After: Here's what the re-work looked like while I was lightly blocking it on Sunday. I'd frogged all but the two set-up rows and first 4 rows of the first 8-row repeat of Little Flowers pattern. I'd then knit about 90 rows, and found a problem halfway back and frogged back to about row 44 (46 if you count setup rows). At the point I took this picture, I had maybe 128 pattern rows. About 45 of them had been reworked three times, all but 6 of them reworked twice. I may let future mistakes just stand. (NOT! I just can't stand it!)



I really liked the way the colors got concentrated in sections at first on this rework, and don't know what I've done differently after that section, because now it's more or less striping again. The concentrated sections of color show the flowers better. The flowers show up pretty well on the yellow sections, too, but the contrast with the beige floor doesn't show it off.

Oh, well, it is what it is.

Since taking this photo, I've made a bit more progress. As of last night, I finished 19 pattern repeats (I think) which would be 152 rows - so the picture above must have been only 128 rows or so, maybe 16 pattern repeats.

No comments: